Thursday 26 September 2013

Things to do with old Vinyl Records # 2 - Bowls!

After posting about vinyl record tables that various creative people had made to convert old damaged vinyl records into something useful, I came across what must be the easiest thing to make from an old vinyl record. A simple bowl. I found a whole lot of them when searching online and because it looked quite easy I couldn't resist and had to do one myself! I documented it with my cell phone, so please excuse the photography, but it is good enough to get the idea.

First step was to find a junky old scratched up record, and I had one of those. Then I found a stainless steel bowl in the kitchen that would serve as my "mould":


This one seemed about the right size so I drew a dot in the middle to make it easier to line up the disc when I put it on top of the stainless steel bowl like this:


From the side it looked like this:


Next step was to preheat the oven to about 190°C:


Once the oven heated up I placed the vinyl on the bowl on an oven tray in the now hot oven:


Once it had melted far enough to satisfy my vinyl record bowl creative vision I removed it from the heat, shaped it a little more by hand, and then placed it in the fridge to cool down:


Once it cooled down I took it off the stainless steel bowl and placed it on the coffee table:


And here it is one last time with a few things inside:


It's not perfect, but I am happy with my very first attempt! Of course you can't store liquid in it because of the hole, but dry things work just fine.

UPDATE: I tried out some different methods and got these two as well:




Below are a few that other people have made:




No comments:

Post a Comment